Saturday, March 18, 2017

Where'd You Go, Bernadette?

Maria Semple.



This book was wonderful.
I wish I had written about it closer to when I actually finished it. It has been more than a month since I finished it so this review will probably be a bit short. But this book was charming and heartwarming and engaging. I was pulled into the story quickly and read the book over a very short period of time. It is told in an interesting way. It is a collection of emails, letters, and messages between different characters that have been collected and put in order and filled in with information from Bernadette's daughter. 

It deals with some real and important themes, but does in a way that doesn't feel heavy. It makes you realize how one person can be viewed so differently depending on who is looking at them. That a person is a combination of so many things that can look so different depending on where you are standing.

I loved that there was a bit of mystery and some unknown. That Bernadette goes missing and for a while you almost think it is going to be some unrealistic and made up explanation. Like maybe the book is going to take a turn for the sci-fi/fantasy but then it just resolves in a way that makes perfect rational sense but somehow you didn't quite expect it. I would defiantly recommend this one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment